When you go to the gemstones for sale store, you need to have a guide so that, you get what is right. A gemstone is an organic material or a mineral that is mined from the sea or earth and normally valued for its rarity and beauty. When they are rough, the gemstone tends to be dull and asymmetric before they are polished, cut and turned into jewelry.
Gemstone refers to the stone before it is turned into jewelry. Once it is turned into jewelry, it is then considered as a jewel. Gemstones come in various consistencies and colors and you can find them in various climates and locations in the world.
You ought to know the following before going out to purchase gemstone.
- Semi-Precious Vs Precious Gemstones: Each gemstone is unique in its own standards with the makeup of a specific mineral that gives it its own characteristics. There are those which are perceived to be more valuable as compared to others based on purity, accessibility, and rarity or cultural significance.
The four gemstones which are considered to be precious are rubies, diamonds, emeralds, and sapphires. This is due to the fact that it takes time to create them, their quality and chemical makeup and their rarity. Though other gemstones are under the semi-precious category, most of them can still be considered as rare or precious just like rubies and diamonds.
- Precious gemstones:
- They happen to be valuable and rare from time immemorial when they were used for cultural rituals
- Normally pure in color and have a makeup of strong chemicals and tend to be rare
- Most of the gemstone purchase is made up of these precious gemstones
- Examples include diamonds, emeralds, sapphires and rubies
- Semi-precious gemstones
- At times they might be rare just like the precious stones but with a lesser value
- A wider array of secondary and primary hues have unique inclusions, and their chemical make up is varied
- Examples include opal, quartz, garnet, amethyst, zircon, agate
- Precious gemstones:
- Organic vs mineral gemstones:
- Organic gemstones: They are obtained from living organisms like animals and plants and are harvested or farmed from the sea and earth. The most common of them include coral, amber, and pearl.
- Mineral gemstones: They are mined from the earth with each type undergoing a specific combination of pressure, heat, and time which creates a crystal structure that is hardened that is unique to the particular gemstone.
- Natural Gemstone Vs Lab-Created Gemstones: Both the semi-precious and precious gemstones can be created in the lab or found naturally. There is no chemical difference in the synthetic and natural gemstones in terms of color, look and quality. There is a specific chemical and mineral for each gemstone that can be replicated in a lab to create a gemstone that is authentic in the shortest time possible as compared to how the earth and sea create it. There are advantages that come with the lab gemstones including being eco-friendly, conflict-free, and more affordable.